Below is a Candidate’s Packet to help you prepare for candidacy in the 2017 City of Ingleside General Election. The following is a listing of the information and forms included in this packet. Should you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 361-776-2517.
- Election Calendar showing dates of special interest for filing forms, etc. This calendar includes most major actions but does not include all actions connected with a general election.
- Sworn Statement of Eligibility This is the sworn statement indicating any person applying for or being appointed to any office of the Ingleside City Council shall swear that they have read, understand, and will abide by the Ingleside City Charter requirements.
- Application for a place on the City of Ingleside General Election Ballot (bilingual), which includes the loyalty oath. The first day to file this application is January 18, 2017. There is no filing fee. Applications must be received in my office no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 17, 2017. Candidates who wish to run as write-in candidates must file a declaration in order to do so no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 21, 2017.
- Political Advertising. What you need to know concerning certain disclosures and notices on political advertising.
- Texas Ethics Commission Campaign Finance Guide. I encourage you to pay particular attention to this guide, which pertains to campaign funds.
- Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer (form CTA) with instruction guide. This appointment should be filed in my office by the time the application for a place on the ballot is filed. A candidate may not knowingly accept a political contribution or make or authorize a political expenditure at a time when a campaign treasurer appointment for the candidate is not in effect. Note the modified reporting section, which you may use if you do not plan to accept more than $500 in political contributions or make more than $500 in political expenditures. Also note the statement, which must be signed regarding the nepotism law.
- Campaign Finance Report (form C/OH) with related schedules and instruction guide. This report should be filed in my office on dates specified on the form and calendar. You may need to file this report more than once; please let me know if you need any additional copies.
- Report of Unexpended Contributions (form C/OH-UC) with instruction guide for your future use.
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices (form CFCP) and copy of Chapter 258, Texas Election Code. Candidates are encouraged, though not obligated, to subscribe to the Code of Fair Campaign Practices. This form may be filed in my office at any time after you have appointed a campaign treasurer.
- Title 15, Texas Election Code. Please read this information carefully, as it pertains to the filing requirements of campaign expenditure reports.
Please take time to thoroughly read the enclosed information. Should you have any questions regarding reporting procedures, contributions, or expenditures, please call the Texas Ethics Commission at 1-512-463-5800 for assistance. It is the duty of each candidate to become familiar with the law applicable to campaigns for office. While candidates may certainly expect the City Secretary to be able to advise them when reports are due, the duty of the City Secretary is limited to accepting and filing the various applications, affidavits and statements, and noting the date and time of filing thereon. The City Secretary should not be expected to judge or comment upon the timeliness or sufficiency of reports filed. All candidate reports are public records and will be open for inspection according to the Texas Open Records Act. If I can be of service to you in any way possible, please let me know. There is a copy of the Texas Election Laws available in my office for your reference. I will also be happy to notarize any forms or applications for you. Keep in mind that any deadlines for 12:00 p.m. (noon) or 5:00 p.m. are specific by State Law to be completed by those set times (including notarization and receipt time of correctly completed forms).