Animal Control FAQs

Can I vaccinate my animal for rabies myself?

No. By State Law, animals must be vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian once a year, every year, from the time the animal is three months of age. Rabies vaccination given by any other means is not recognized as being current or valid.

Does the 7 in 1 shot cover rabies?

No. The 7 in 1 shot does not cover the Rabies Vaccine. It covers Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvo, Corona, Parainfluenza, Adenovirus for dogs. For cats, shots cover Feline leukemia, Feline distemper and Respiratory viruses. You can contact your veterinarian for more information.

If my dog was sleeping on my front porch, why did Animal Control pick my dog up?

If your Animal is not restrained on your property by fence, kennel or trolley system in a manner preventing it from leaving your property of its own free will, it is by law considered Running At Large and is subject to being impounded and may be picked up by Animal Control.

Why must my animal be Quarantined if it has had its
rabies shots?

Rabies vaccination, although state required, is an immune enhancing vaccine and merely raises an animals immune system from contracting the disease, but does not guarantee the animal can not contract rabies. Therefore Texas law requires that all cats and dogs involved in a bite or a scratch be quarantined from the date and time of the incident.

Why does it cost so much to reclaim my animal from
the shelter?

The fees involved in the reclaiming of an animal from the Shelter cover the City of Ingleside impound fee as pre-determined and set by City Council at $50.00. The boarding fee of $25.00 per day for dogs and $25.00 per day for cats offsets the cost of care and feed for the animals. State law requires that if any animal is not current on its rabies vaccination, all animals must be current on rabies vaccination prior to being released.

Who do I call about a Dead Animal in my neighborhood?

The City of Ingleside Animal Control is dispatched by the Ingleside Police Department at 361-776-2531.

Does the City of Ingleside require a license for dogs
and cats?

Yes. You can call Ingleside City Hall 361-776-2517 for current fee amounts.

Does the City of Ingleside have a limit on the number of animals a person can own?

Yes, the limit is six pets as stated in the Municipal Code, Sec. 14-53, Keeping of more than six pets.  The keeping on any premises in the city of any pets in any number exceeding six in aggregate is prohibited unless the pens, stalls or other enclosure facilities for keeping the same shall be so located that pets cannot come within 100 feet of any dwelling or business building, owned, used or maintained by any person other than the keeper, or 500 feet of any food service establishment or food processing establishment, regardless of ownership or occupancy of such establishments.

What can I do about a neighbor that lets their animals run loose after animal control is off duty?

Report these incidents to Animal Control through the Police Department at at 361-776-2531.

My dog is vaccinated for rabies.  Can my dog run loose?

No.  By City Ordinance, dogs must be confined to the owners property at all times or when out walking must be restrained by a leash that is controlled by a person of strength to control the animal.